Art Journaling, Quilting, and Whatever else Strikes my Fancy

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Successful Image Transfer

Great news all! I have been successful in my quest to transfer an image. As I have mentioned early, my first couple of attempts didn't turn out exactly as planned.  AKA- it was a glob of gel medium and printer ink.  However, following the directions of L.K. Ludwig in her book Creative Wildfire I have successfully transferred an image.

And it really wasn't that difficult.  All you need is an image printed out on computer paper by an ink jet printer, some regular gel medium, an old credit card/brayer, a clean rag, and water.  After you print out your desired image you cut it to size and then spread the regular gel medium onto the background you wish to transfer the image.  You then press the image into the gel medium and using a brayer or old credit card you press the image into the page.  Then you take a clean damp rag and clean up any gel medium that may have squished out on the edges.  Finally, leave the image to dry completely.

Once it has dried using your damp rag press it on the back of the paper with the image you are transferring.  Then using your finger rub the damp area until the white backing starts you roll up and peel off.  Continue to do this until the entire image can be seen.  Be careful not to rub to hard so you don't rub the entire image off the page. 

I have to say I'm very pleased with the outcome and would like to experiment with this process to see what kind of cool effects I can achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment