Art Journaling, Quilting, and Whatever else Strikes my Fancy

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Discovery

(One of my first art journaling pages using the paint scraping method.)


As of three months ago, I had never even heard the term "art journal."  It was around the time of Halloween and my roommate and I went to the local fabric store, so she could obtain the necessary items to construct her Halloween costume.  I, being the great roommate I am, went along for moral support.  Everyone else who lived in a five mile radius must have had the same idea to be economical and make their own Halloween costume.  And, furthermore, decided to purchase the material the very same sunny Sunday afternoon that my roommate and I went on our adventure.

So while my roommate was standing in a line at least 60 long waiting to have an absurd amount of tulle cut.  I wandered about finally ending in the craft book section.  With nothing else better to do, I began flipping through them a bit like one does at the dentist's.  It was through this mindless perusing that I discovered a book called Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling- Basics and Beyond by L.K. Ludwig.  I became enraptured by the wonderful pictures and enthralled with learning about art journaling.  Before I had nearly enough time to fully investigate my new discovery my roommate appeared at my side and said she was ready.  So we left.

But within the next few days I couldn't help but think of the wonderful concept I had stumbled across.  Finally, my curiosity got the best of me.  And like any self respecting, somewhat, technologically advanced person, I googled it.  This resulted in me not only finding the book that had peaked my interest, of which I promptly ordered. I discovered that there were a great many books on the topic of art journaling. I was completely fascinated.

In just a couple of short days after my purchase, the item appeared on my door step.  I ripped the package open and devoured the pages hour upon hour.  I did this for several days reading and re-reading sections.  I wanted to try it out so much, but I was afraid that I would screw up or not be able to make anything half as beautiful as the book showed.  But I somehow found the courage to meander down to Michael's and pick up a few basic items including a pad of 140lb. paper, tissue paper, a simplistic drawing kit, gel medium, and a strange substance with a funny name called gesso.

That's all the further I got that day.  I was still paralyzed by fear, but the book starts off with a very simple exercise to get you going.  It is simple paint scraping, meaning you squeeze out a line of paint on one end of  the paper and then take an old credit card and drag it across the page.  You can then squeeze out another line of paint (a different color) and drag that across and get an interesting effect.  So with paint I already had and an old debit card, I took a deep breath and made the proverbial dive. And may I just say what a spectacular feeling.  I did page after page and by the time I considered finishing up, I was covered in paint and giddy as a school boy who has just put a toad in the school snob's lunch box. So in other words, I liked it.

And so began my new hobby and journey in the world of art journaling, something that was not only for the mind, but for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment