Art Journaling, Quilting, and Whatever else Strikes my Fancy

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Adding your own Whimsical Flare

Sometimes you just can't get your creative wheels turning, if your like me it's probably because you are over thinking it.  You need external inspiration to grease your gears to get those creative hydraulics moving again. 

One way to do this is to mimic another's page and when you feel comfortable going on your own, you deviate to make it your own.  I do this when I'm staring at a blank page and feeling like I'm stuck.  I grab Randi Feuerhelm-Watts handy-dandy deck of inspiration cards and flip through until I find one that I like. 

For instance, the page above is one that I did based on one of Randi's works.  Hers included actual photographs and they were all nice and square with the page, but my instinct was to be a bit more whimsical. 

I started with just a magazine page and then scraped orange paint on one side and covered the rest in green or white, but using a light enough coat to let the words show through.  I then clustered stamped circles on the scraped orange paint and finally placed three colorful magazine pictures over the green and white page.

This exercise helped get the ideas flowing and resulted in two more really fun and colorful pages.  This first one was done with old torn up index cards that I painted orange and then stamped with green paint and placed a church at the bottom.  The index cards have fact about the Catholic Church I did for a research paper in college.  Hence the reason I placed the church at the bottom of the page.

This second picture is just a paint scraping but one where I didn't cover the entire page, and decided to add a few lines of bright green color. This was a great way to kick start my creativity, and I have discovered inspiration can come from some unexpected and strange places.


No comments:

Post a Comment