Art Journaling, Quilting, and Whatever else Strikes my Fancy

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Balancing Inspiration

Thanks to my art journaling group on Flickr, I found out about the February Journal Challenge. Everyday a prompt is posted, and the idea is to use that prompt as a jumping off point for inspiration.  Obviously, today was the first day of the challenge and today's inspiration was balance.

At first I was a bit confused about what to do with this, so I decided to flip through some old magazines to see if anything stuck my fancy. While I was perusing the pages I thought about finding a person with their arms out, allowing me to then cut out other items and stack them on top of their hands.  But as I was thumbing along I found a picture of a stool and my idea started to take a whole other shape.

I placed the stool at the base of the page and then proceed to stack items atop it.  The magazines that I was flipping through are all about beauty and fashion and while I am certainly not above such things it occurred to me that the time we spend on looks and beauty may be putting other items off balance.

This prompted me to place a bottle of perfume directly on top of the stool, from here I cut other pictures out and placed them precariously on each other to demonstrate the notion of beauty not being a stable base.  The rest of the page ca be interpreted many different ways.

But the bottom line is that I had a lot of fun and was able to think about life a little more deeply on a subject I wouldn't have thought much about if it wasn't for this prompt.  I'm looking forward to see what awaits me tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great job with the first prompt, and certainly nothing I would have imagined :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sooo wonderful, of how different our prompts get interpreted ... I love yours! :-)

    And I'm looking forward to seeing your other outcomes!

    ReplyDelete