Art Journaling, Quilting, and Whatever else Strikes my Fancy

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Inspiring Inspiration

Thursday morning I was able to read the FJC prompt because my office was closed because of the gigantic blizzard that had just hit Chicago.  The prompt was inspiration, focusing on how to discover inspiration, how one goes about being inspired, etc.  And to be perfectly honest I was very stumped as for what to do with this prompt.

I guess in away I was having difficultly getting inspired in regards to the notion of inspiration.  In fact, I was befuddled by it all day.  I could easily write about inspiration and how it happens for me, but I wanted to complete the prompt like I had the other through a visual means.  Part of my problem was that my inspiration is completely random.  I don't seek it out or look for it.  I just plod along in my daily life and wham it hits me at unsuspecting moments.

I have to say I'm glad that I'm perceptive enough to see it, although I can be rather dense at times, so I'm sure I miss things.  But on the whole I have to say I catch on pretty well.  And I truly believe the "happy accidents" of inspiration, at least for me, are the best.  

The question then becomes how do I display visually the nonsensical way in which my inspiration is thrust upon me?  Finally, I thought perhaps I could just pick some of the items that spark my interest through my average day such as color, books, people, etc.  So finally at 10:30 last night I sat down quite unsure of what I was going to do and began to demonstrate my mode and means of inspiration.

Once I got going things seemed to just start to flow, and I believe that is how I do get inspired most, by piddling around with my art journaling materials and just letting the paint splatter and the tissue paper stick with guided haphazardness.

1 comment:

  1. Thank God! It really soothes me, that I'm not the only one with problems in visualize inspiration!

    Honestly, you've done a much better job than I did! Much better!

    ReplyDelete