Art Journaling, Quilting, and Whatever else Strikes my Fancy

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Beyond a Surface Connection

Today's February Journaling Challenge was to think about the people we would like to meet either dead or alive.  Naturally at first I thought about all the famous and power people I would love to meet from the past and present, but then for some reason I thought of my great-grandmother on my father's side.

A picture of her hangs in my parent's hallway.  She's about my age in the picture and we look strikingly similar, including the same nose, eyes, and facial structure.  I never met her because she died three days after my grandfather was born, and I've always wondered what she was like.  Would there be anything we had in common beyond our looks.

It was this thinking that inspired this page.  Initially I was going to cut a figure out of a magazine, paint it black, and then center it at the bottom of the page.  Then I would place a number of items that people may discuss on their first meeting around the figure.

So I found a picture that I liked, cut it out, and then placed it on a white piece of paper to paint it black.  When I finished I removed the cut out and found that a really cool negative image was left in its place.  Because of this surprising discovery, I decided to place the black picture on one side and do a negative imagine on the other side.  I would then pile the items in the middle between the two figures. 

It would represent us having a conversation, so to speak.  I then added a few questions and wanted to portray the uncertainty if there would be any connection between those that share the same genes.

It was a great prompt to get me thinking about who I would really like to meet given the chance and what would result of that meeting.

1 comment:

  1. The developing process of how your page finally looks is very interesting! Thanks for sharing the way with us! ... Anyway, I'm a huge fan of silhouettes!

    ReplyDelete